Wednesday, October 2, 2013

College: The Early Years (like five weeks in)

College is hard and our teachers were not lying.

I really love it though. I think I love it so much because  is challenging the hell out of me and I have always had this obsessive tendency with adversity.

The actual education part of it is totally kicking my ass. Which hopefully means my head is filling with grand knowledge that will prepare me for the life ahead beyond the vine covered buildings and Ramen dinners. Western Civilization (a nine unit course. NINE) is three hours of pure lecture then quizzes on none of the lecture. But, I am starting to do better which is boosting my confidence which is helping with everything else.

Sociology of Sex. Yes, this is college and X-rated material is actually required rather than prohibited. This class is literally blowing my mind and making me realize I'm not as comfortable talking and learning about sex as I thought I was. It does, however make for really rad stories to tell friends.

I am very lucky to have received an internship at the Gender and Sexuality Equity Center for their Women's Program. I have made myself quite at home in their office, answering phones, giving away condoms, and planning our big event Take Back The Night which raises awareness for rape culture. It is very very time consuming though.

Because I chose to live in an off campus apartment, I feared I wouldn't be able to make friends. Though this most definitely wasn't the case (Stay tuned, I will get to those goobs in a bit!), I'm still not 100% sure if I'm happy with my decisions.  I will break it down in my favorite kind of list: the pro and con (obviously behind the "To-Do" list).

Pros:
-My fabulous, amazing, kind, crazy smart, great roommate (seriously, I love her)
-I get to have my maniac of a cat. Which even though he has gotten himself a girlfriend that he meows at allll night, I still love having him to cuddle.
- My very own bathroom
-My very own kitchen
-A washer and dryer
-A washing machine
-My full sized bed
-Easy parking
-Peace and quiet
-Not eating at a dining hall

Cons
- in depth connections with dorm mates
-not having to be checked in to the dorms
-Not having to be locked out of the dorms for 9 days because this town is scary and drunk and too much and you aren't allowed to have visitors around Halloween

So clearly the con list isn't even close to my pro apartment living. I really do get the best of both worlds and the friends I have made are incredible.

Specifically Katie. I can't even explain what Katie has done for me in the last three weeks. She really is one of the kindest souls I have ever met. It is beyond me how I got so lucky to have someone that is so much like me and will sit with me and rub my back when I'm having a complete breakdown and will hang out with me everyday because I love her and never can get sick of her. Like, for real, she is that great.

Other rad humans I have met are, in no order of importance (These are not all, so if you weren't included, my fingers probably froze off because the Whitney Hall study room is unrealistically cold:
Justin: Katie's boyfriend. I'm in love with him. No big deal.
Forrest: Hilarious, sassy, crazy kindhearted, loves tea, plus he will fix my computer.
Aryana: I literally couldn't make it through Western Civ without her. For Real.
Daniel: The most passionate, energetic person I have ever met. He better DJ my wedding or at least play his guitar outside my window.
Mikey: There is no nicer person in this world. Really, seriously, 100% the most positive boy. I love him so much<3
Caleb: Focused, caring, without him I wouldn't have met anyone else. Easily the best RA ever in the world.
Spencer: Beautiful eyes, always says hi, really nice, best impressions EVER.


So, there ya have it. What's been up. The stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment