Ah, the classic line. It's not you, it's me.
In my case (an age old friendship), it's true. Granted, the person is not entirely clear of fault, but the anger I am emitting is mostly frustration towards the broken record-esque aura of the situation and me not understanding what I can do differently, or simply put, what is wrong with me.
I'm not exactly a boy slayer and never have been able to initiate anything with boys. However, my closest friends seem to have no issue at all with the boys I'm interested in.
Sidenote: this summer has been incredible and enlightening and magical and spontaneous and perfect.
In one night, a night where I was hopeful and selfish, essentially all the confidence I had built this summer crashed to the ground. It twenty minutes I felt rejection, betrayal, and panic completely drown me. It was like a Taylor Swift song; and not the fairytale ones.
I'm taking it out on my best friend because she wasn't there for me in a moment of weakness. It's no secret I hold on to things, even the most terrible. She crumbled to something I'm sure I would have as well; the notion of being wanted.
I'm angry, not exactly because of the boy. I am angry because I'm jealous. I'm angry because it was what I wanted more than anything in the world. Everything she has had this summer, her ease with people, her flawless way of speaking without shrieking (My falsetto is annoying), was what I have wanted and yearned for since I was 11 and read my first Sarah Dessen book.
I want to be wanted and it not have to be a secret.
I want to not keep losing to the people around me.
I want to be a priority.
I don't want to be the only one sacrificing for loyalty.
It's not you, HDog, it's me. It's this disgusting self-concious thing and this stupid Fireflies curse and this stupid small town, and the fact with a look I can be knocked down a hundred notches. I am mad, yeah, but only at the idea that you are growing up without me and that I am just "the girl with the hot friend".
No comments:
Post a Comment