Dave Grohl, an artist we can all agree is an ultimate rocker, said something a few years back that has really resonated with me lately.
“I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. If you fucking like something, like it. That’s what’s wrong with our generation: that residual punk rock guilt, like, “You’re not supposed to like that. That’s not fucking cool.” Don’t fucking think it’s not cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic.” It is cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic”! Why the fuck not? Fuck you! That’s who I am, goddamn it! That whole guilty pleasure thing is full of fucking shit.”
-Dave Grohl (The Foo Fighters)
We should never, ever feel guilty about the things we like (unless of course they are harming or potentially could harm someone)
Liking the Pop top 40 does not make a person less of a music aficionado.
This brings me back to Taylor Swift. As far as role models go, I'm pretty sure I picked a good one when I was 14. Never been arrested, advocates feminism, had really rad character growth, loves cats more than life; I dig that.
Somehow she always sang about things that I constantly felt and her music has made me happy. Isn't that the point of great music? To make you feel something? Don't hate something because it's popular or it's everywhere. More than that don't make someone feel bad because they like it.
My roommate is a diehard One Direction fan. Over the last year I have watched people make so much fun of her iTunes library. "They aren't even a real band".
Well, they are on route to be one of the most sold albums this year so someone must think they are good. I love that she is 1D fan. They are fun and gorgeous and we have so much fun in the car belting out along with "The Best Song Ever" and all their other hits (so. freaking. catchy. Come on, give it a try).
You don't have to like things. It's okay to hate "All About That Bass" (Except, come on, it's catchy as hell), it's definitely okay to not be on the Bey Train and no one will hate you for not being a Swifty.
Just please please please don't comment on other people's positivity towards those things to make them sink back into the pit of guilt.
Who cares if I'm 19 and I still cry along with One Tree Hill repeats and sing my dear heart out to the Jonas Brothers. Both things rock.
Also, if you like Mumford & Sons and Tegan and Sara before everyone else, thanks for sharing them. They are fantastic artists:)

No comments:
Post a Comment